Why?

Ramblings in Rapid-Prototyping, Physical Computing and random creativity, featuring Arduino, Raspberry Pi and related technologies. Most of these projects are done for fun, on short sprints and near-zero budget, and they frequently share a remarkable lack of refinement.

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

In the beginning...

My first hands-on Arduino experience took place during the 2013 Warman Challenge for teams of engineering students from Australian Universities. That year, the mission was to produce a device capable of autonomously navigating a small obstacle course that included a big gap. The difficulty lived in doing so while complying with a set of very restrictive rules. My teammates, Mechatronics Engineering students (I was doing Mechanical Eng.), owned all the toys (i.e., boards, servos, sensors, etc.) and I was instantly fascinated by it. Since they were considerably younger than me and already knew a lot more, I felt that I had to catch up and learn as quick as I could.

I guess I've been doing so ever since.

BTW, our team's solution that year was to use a hybrid car/quad-copter to navigate the course. It eventually evolved into a "reptilian" quad-copter that just dragged over most of the course (the rules banned flying all over it). In terms of engagement of the audience, it was one of the most spectacular entrants to watch that year.

Build and Photo by J. Harms

No comments:

Post a Comment