Why?

Ramblings in Rapid-Prototyping, Physical Computing and random creativity, featuring Arduino, Raspberry Pi and related technologies. Most of these projects are done for fun, on short sprints and near-zero budget, and they frequently share a remarkable lack of refinement.

Thursday, August 13, 2015

HeadShot



"...if I build a dresser, that's very useful but it doesn't get a lot of views, but one thing I've learned is that useless crap on Youtube, gets a lot of views" - Matthias Wandel

A while ago the carpenter at work was throwing out pile of plywood sheet offcuts. "It's good ply," he said, "but I can't keep storing offcuts, I'm out of space". Hence, I rescued as much as I could, and so far I've made quite a few things with it, mostly (functional) furniture. But after the robot arm project, I wanted to learn more about Computer Vision, and had seen a few Nerf and paintball sentry-gun projects online (Google'em). While most of those projects aim at shooting others (pun intended), shooting something tasty at self seemed like an interesting (and profoundly futile) endeavor

For this project, I used a RasPi 2 with OpenCV (Python bindings) and the ServoBlaster library.
The hardware is mostly, as you can imagine, salvaged plywood! Also, the winch servo from the StoveDJ , and normal servos from the now dismantled robot arm. An old droid phone with IPwebcam was the video source, since I didn't have a USB webcam or Pi camera module at hand, nor cared to buy any. 



No comments:

Post a Comment